Wednesday 3 May 2023

03/05/23 Myeloma news

 At last! At last!!

Copying this from a post I've just put on the Facebook group:

--------------------------------------------------------

I had my second 'phone consultation with my NHS consultant about 4pm this afternoon. All bloods ok again apart from a fractionally high FLC ratio, probably a result of the upper respiratory tract infection I was brewing up when the blood was taken. Nothing serious and my temperature never went up. Last time she ordered an MRI on my troublesome and erratic left thigh pain, and I had that done a couple of weeks ago on a cancellation. Results were in, and nothing found in my femur. But "incidental to the main scan" they found some degenerative change in my knee (not too surprising in mid-70s) and a "benign cyst" in my left pelvis. That's where I had the big lytic lesion that led to a pathological fracture and my myeloma diagnosis. It's not in quite the same spot but she thinks it might be connected to the healing / remodelling process for that lesion. Anyway, they've had a Multi-Disciplinary Team meeting, and she wants another MRI of my left hip and to bring Orthopaedics in as it's weight-bearing and they think there's significant risk of a fracture. I can only assume that means they're thinking in terms of some surgical intervention, possibly inserting some titanium reinforcement to go along with the bits of it I already have in my neck.
Three and a half hours later, the 'phone rang. Broomfield Hospital - they have an MRI cancellation, could I come in 10am tomorrow morning? Not at all convenient, as I have other appointments, so I asked when's the next available date? Saturday 6th, 2:10pm. It'll mean missing the back-end of the Coronation, but I can live with that.
NHS delays?? Not a sign of them. So far it's been wonderful, and faster-moving than the private system was. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm mightily impressed.

----------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...