Tuesday 18 July 2023

18/07/23 Fall

 I put this in the Walter House residents WhatsApp group his afternoon...


---------------------------------------------------------

Uneven pavement warning! After Xxxxx's recent adventure...

Went for a walk this afternoon, intending to do once round the Cathedral and back. Got past all the raised paving slabs on the left side of the road ok (feel I know them all by name by now), then tripped over a slightly raised one near the Recruiting Office. Went straight over forwards, despite the stick in my right hand, with a bit of an anti-clockwise twist and landed hard on the side of my left hip.

The bad one which doesn't have a lot of bone left in it....

Moment of sheer panic...

Two very kind people - middle-aged woman and young Asian man - rushed to my aid and helped me back to my feet. The lady found my left hearing aid, which had been dislodged from my ear. Without her, I would almost certainly not have noticed it had gone and would now be starting a claim on the insurance. No harm done, the hip is intact but a few muscles are complaining and I have a small graze on my little finger. The automatic fall detection on my personal alarm (Careline365, not the McCarthy Stone one) worked and connected me to the call centre while I was still on the ground, which I think is pretty good. I'm being cautious and cancelling my Tuesday boules night in Brentwood for this week.

The moral of this story is to watch out very carefully for those raised paving slabs. There are too many of them and a moment of inattention...

Nevertheless, walking is healthy exercise and good for you. Sometimes.

"Be careful out there."


--------------------------------------------------------

Followed by:

--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all for the comments and concern. Some muscle pain on the left side but nothing worse, I think. Moving around rather gingerly and have just taken a couple of ibuprofens.

---------------------------------------------------------


Now wondering whether I should contact Orthopaedics at Broomfield - or even my so far unseen new GP - to see if a precautionary X-ray or CT might be advisable... Will see how it feels in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...