Thursday 2 November 2023

02/11/23 The NHS does it again

A couple of weeks or so ago I had an NHS letter saying that my next consultant appointment was cancelled and that a new appointment would arrive. Still waiting...

This morning I was on the phone to the Haematology secretaries (see below) and I mentioned this. 

"Oh yes, you've got an appointment on the 28th, 11:50".

First I've heard of it. The problem is that I need to have blood taken at least a fortnight ahead, in time for all the results to come through. I went straight to the online booking for the blood test "Chelmsford Health Hub" five minutes up the road. First available appointment on the 13th, just in time... But only because I made that call, and I wasn't even trying to talk to Haematology.

Yet another NHS admin cock-up. Not the first by a long way, won't be the last.


Some possibly myeloma-related developments, starting yesterday evening. Here's the text of a message to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital secretaries:

"Hello again,

When I saw Mr.Gerrand on 9th Oct his parting message was to get in touch if I had more pain and difficulty walking. Both conditions met since last night.

I tried to contact you by 'phone and left a message which I hope will reach you. Going a bit further:

1. The morning after that appointment I managed to fall out of bed and land on my left hip. Seemed to be no damage beyond some impressive bruising.

2. Yesterday 1 Nov, all normal morning and afternoon, went for a walk pm, nothing out of the ordinary. But some low back pain (across top of pelvis and lumbar) developed during evening. A bit difficult in shower but manageable. Later tried to get out of "office" chair to go to bed, couldn't do it. Took a good 15 mins to stand up and make it across room (with stick). Another 15 to get out of bed and stand up this morning, and same again to stand up from chair after breakfast. Getting off WC not easy or straightforward either! Walking v.slow shuffle but does get a bit easier once I get started. Occasional sharp jabs of pain, very reminiscent of walking problems with that big lesion and "extramedullary growth" when my myeloma was diagnosed 2019.

3. Hard to tell what's going on. Mix of muscular pain and deep "bone pain". Not directly in left hip but suppose could be referred pain and there are a number of smaller lesions in pelvis and lower spine that might be causing problems. I hope that CT scan which should have arrived from Broomfield Chelmsford by now might shed some light on those other lesions and etc. Broomfield promise they've sent it!

4. Arranging osteopath appointment in the hope of getting some relief even if temporary. Just heard - tomorrow afternoon. Will also contact Broomfield Orthopaedics and GP."

Shortly after sending that email Broomfield Haematology called and it turned out that I didn't leave a phone message with RNOH Orthopaedics this morning after all. My eye must have skipped a line in my contacts (tempted to say mind distracted by the pain in my back...) and the message went to Broomfield Haematology instead. And that's where the story starts. Not a great way to start a morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...