Thursday 8 December 2022

08/12/22 Catching up...

Freeview. A few weeks ago the TVs in my study and downstairs both started behaving badly on Freeview:











I tried everything I could think of, with no lasting effect at all. We found a couple of slightly loose connections to the splitter/amplifier box in the loft, but tightening them up didn't work, although we thought for a few hours that it was a miracle cure. Eventually, not having a signal strength meter of my own, called an aerial man in. Result: the TVs and Freeview recorders were being overloaded by a signal too strong for them. It seems that our local transmitter had boosted its output without bothering to tell anybody... So he removed the amplifier and replaced it with a simple splitter box. And all is wonderful again, although the Freeview in my room still needs an attenuator to bring the signal strength down a bit more. Never would I have thought of that explanation, if anything thought the signal must have been too weak, perhaps that amplifier was giving up the ghost...

Batteries. Had to change my mouse battery after far too short a time. It was an Energiser. In my experience, Energiser batteries are invariably cr*p. I've replaced it with a Duracell Max, which will last for ages. Why do Energiser keep their market share with such a poor product?

Axe & Compasses, now our nearest pub. Went for lunch a few days ago. Had a game pie - pheasant, venison, rabbit, smoked bacon, and figs. The figs weren't detectable, but the flavour was magnificent. Too long since I've had a good game pie, really enjoyed that one. Spent the afternoon sleeping it off...

Rangemaster. One of the control knobs for the induction "rings" has started to lose the silvery material around the edge, showing the white plastic underneath. Can't find an identical match online, the cooker is probably too old (2010). I've emailed Rangemaster to see if they have a few old spares in the back of a cupboard somewhere. If they can't come up with one I may be forced to replace all five.

Eye drops. I'm running low on the steroid ones for my right eye, and I'm supposed to keep them going four times a day for four weeks until after Christmas (although the surgeon did let me off them for the left eye after two weeks as it was doing ok). Had a lot of trouble getting him to prescribe me another 10ml bottle. All the nurses would say was "It's supposed to last..." Obviously my technique was over-generous and wasteful. I've been working on that with some online help from a cataract surgery facebook group (which is full of horror stories from people who've had it all go wrong), and I think I've got a better method now. It seems to be working.

Here's a photo from my study window of the moon rising late afternoon with a delicate pink sky behind:









Now at 00:45 it's -2C outside, and the promised cold spell has clearly started.


And the most important thing of all. AXA's private health premium last year was bad enough, and close to unaffordable. This year there's bound to be a big increase for all the usual reasons not to mention my neck surgery claim as well as the "Comprehensive Cancer Cover" and it's clearly going to burst the budget. So I've decided not to wait for the renewal in March. I've cancelled AXA after this month and will start the New Year by returning to the tender mercies of the NHS at Broomfield, and the haematologist who diagnosed my Myeloma and organised my first treatment plan. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...