Friday 5 August 2022

05/07/22 40th

I've just had my 40th set of blood test results since this all began. Paraproteins still undetectable (that's after no treatment at all since mid-January) and after two of my Free Light Chain numbers were outside normal range last month, now they're all comfortably normal again. Moral: if the movements are only small, probably no need for concern. Just wait for the next set of results.

The one strange thing this time is in the liver results - the enzyme gamma glutamyl transferase, which is usually in normal range, has jumped a bit high. Raised GGT is an indicator of a number of things, including drinking too much. Well, I used to consume a fair amount of red wine in the evenings and my GGT stayed normal apart from a couple of months when it went up a little (but never for even two months in a row) - but I haven't touched a drop since mid-January when I came out of Broomfield Hospital's Stroke Unit with the comment that my brain scan showed 100% normal. Maybe so, but I completely lost all desire for alcohol in any form, and it hasn't (yet) come back.
So the raised GGT must mean something else, if it isn't just a blip. I've been taking close to daily maximum Paracetamol as part of the recovery from neck surgery in May, and I'm wondering if that may be a factor. Something to talk about in my face-to-face with my haematologist on Monday... (slightly edited version of a post on the facebook Myeloma Support UK group)

No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...