Monday 21 November 2022

21/11/22 PET scan again, and jazz

Southend PET Centre 'phoned this morning - their doctors say the scan is ok so I (probably) don't need to go back, but final decision is up to my haematologist Dr.Ch when he sees the report, which should be four to five working days. Strange, it was three to four days just a couple of days ago.

This afternoon it was raining solidly and I had some things to take to the post. So I decided to drive, as my vision is so much improved. That went fine, but even better was that my left hand, thumb and forefinger in particular, were much better on the handbrake, heating controls, and etc. than when I last drove back at the end of September. It's now six months since the neck operation and I had pretty much given up hope for any further improvement in that hand but this shows that nerve regeneration is still going on and there's reason to hope it will keep on going.

Last thing of the day was to send the BBC a complaint about "Young Jazz Musician of the Year" shown on BBC4 a couple of nights ago. I was shocked by the extraordinary and frankly ridiculous decision. Here's my complaint, much good it will do anyone:

----------------------------------------

YOUR COMPLAINT: 

Poor choice of judges, bad choice of winner 

The judging panel represented only a small part of the current London jazz scene and were all unknown to me (a 74 year old lifetime jazz lover) and probably to almost the entire audience outside London as well as most of those inside. Same could be said of the presenters, insofar as they mattered. I have nothing against the winner - nice lad who may well have a good career - but the saxophonist Emma Rawicz was so clearly the obvious choice. She has a fully-developed and individual jazz voice plus everything you could wish for in terms of technique, feel, musicality, and all the rest. The BBC missed a great opportunity to promote the career of a real star who is already doing a lot for "diversity" and helping to build new audiences for the art form. And how ironic that this programme was followed by a repeat of one about the late "Lady Saxophone" Barbara Thompson, a true pioneer of the female voice in British jazz. Rawicz could well be her successor. Not a good day for what little is left of the BBC's involvement with jazz. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...