Saturday 10 September 2022

10/09/22 Aches and pains

I saw my haematologist Dr. Ch at the start of the week and described three problems on my left side that have  developed or substantially worsened over the last few weeks.

1.      Pain in left side of neck and shoulder.This goes back at least as far as the 2017 fall. It can appear for no obvious reason or after standing for some time. It is partially controlled by paracetamol (now back to 8 daily) and by lying fully reclined for ten minutes or so.

2.       Pain in back of rib cage, left side. This is a very sharp pain which is particularly triggered by getting up from a chair (or trying to). It is intense but not persistent. At first I thought it was a strained/torn muscle, but it is not healing after several weeks.

3.      Pain in front of left thigh and hip. A dull persistent pain which can stretch around the hip and behind. It comes and goes without obvious cause and is often present first thing in the morning.  Five or ten minutes in my recliner chair often alleviates it.

All three are intermittent but severe at their worst. Dr. Ch thinks that these are unlikely to be related to myeloma (although #3 is very reminiscent of the pain caused by the left hip lytic lesion which led to the myeloma diagnosis) and suggested that the cause may be neurological – or at least that this should be eliminated first.

So I contacted my neurosurgeon and he decided first step should be a neck X-ray to check the metalwork etc. probably followed by another MRI. He sent me an X-ray request form to have it done at Springfield and I took the form in yesterday afternoon.To my huge surprise the radiology receptionist said "Do you want to do it now?"

That's speed and efficiency for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...