Saturday, 10 September 2022

10/09/22 Music

Tomorrow will mark my return to live music indoors after two and a half years. I'm indulging my inner Wagnerian with The Saffron Opera Group doing Tannhauser at Saffron Hall. I booked my ticket for it in 2019 shortly after the 2018 performance of Parfisal, but it's twice been postponed for a year because of the plague.

I haven't engaged much with this year's Proms anything like as much as usual, but not all that happy about the Beeb's decision to cancel the Last Night "as a mark of respect" for the late Queen. I'm guessing that it's rather more out of fear of anti-British anti-monarchist etc. protestors. No-one wants to see riots in the Albert Hall but the Last Night is above all a celebration of Britishness, and what better way to mark the things that don't change as we come through this time of upheaval? Of course it should be a rather different Last Night, but all the more potent for that.

Unfortunately being at Saffron Hall tomorrow afternoon means missing the opportunity as Vice-Chairman of the parish council to read the Proclamation (probably to a very very small audience in our tiny Parish). I would have liked to do that.

Some good news - that vicious stabbing pain in the back of my left rib cage has been very much better. Looks as if we can write that one off as a muscle problem that has taken rather a long time to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

08/10/2026 The best laid plans...

Well, so much for my plan to post rather more frequently. This may have been the longest break yet. The plain fact is that there hasn't ...