Saturday 10 September 2022

10/09/22 Music

Tomorrow will mark my return to live music indoors after two and a half years. I'm indulging my inner Wagnerian with The Saffron Opera Group doing Tannhauser at Saffron Hall. I booked my ticket for it in 2019 shortly after the 2018 performance of Parfisal, but it's twice been postponed for a year because of the plague.

I haven't engaged much with this year's Proms anything like as much as usual, but not all that happy about the Beeb's decision to cancel the Last Night "as a mark of respect" for the late Queen. I'm guessing that it's rather more out of fear of anti-British anti-monarchist etc. protestors. No-one wants to see riots in the Albert Hall but the Last Night is above all a celebration of Britishness, and what better way to mark the things that don't change as we come through this time of upheaval? Of course it should be a rather different Last Night, but all the more potent for that.

Unfortunately being at Saffron Hall tomorrow afternoon means missing the opportunity as Vice-Chairman of the parish council to read the Proclamation (probably to a very very small audience in our tiny Parish). I would have liked to do that.

Some good news - that vicious stabbing pain in the back of my left rib cage has been very much better. Looks as if we can write that one off as a muscle problem that has taken rather a long time to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...