Thursday 8 September 2022

08/09/22 And another era ends

Impossible to ignore the death of Queen Elizabet II and the passing of the second Elizabethan age. I have never been a monarchist for several reasons, but she was a truly admirable woman and lived a life that was the most potent argument imaginable in favour of the institution that she led for so long.

The Coronation was the first public event that I (rather vaguely) remember. She was there all my life, and almost in the words of Shakespeare and the Night's Watch, we shall not see her like again.

So now it's King Charles III, Best of luck to him and he's going to need it. This succession will take place in a very different world from the last one, and the extremist wings of the anti-monarchists, republicans, anti-Charles-ists and anti Camilla-ists will be out in full force on Twitter and Facebook, let alone on the streets. I think he's going to have a very hard time.













R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...