Thursday 9 April 2020

09/04/20

Yesterday was another day dominated more by COVID-19 than by myeloma, which remains more or less in limbo until the next set of blood results.
The day started with the delivery of a new Gtech cordless vacuum cleaner. We are now having to go back to doing the housework ourselves, and I have to accept that now I'm rather less capable than I was five or ten years ago. Partly increasing age, partly the results of the disease. The Dyson "ball" cylinder vacuum is far less practical in this house than I hoped when I bought it several years ago. We'll keep it for the things it does well (and occasionally) but the Gtech should be a lot easier to handle and heave around for the routine stuff. The cost is covered by just five weeks of not paying out for the weekly cleaner (because of you-know-what) and we've had two of those already.
After that, the self-administered B12 injection, meaning no need to visit the surgery. That went OK (in the right thigh) although I was fumble-fingered enough to drop one of my two red filter needles on the carpet. No problem with breaking the ampoule open or anything else.
Then my new all-singing all-dancing all-terrain cross-country walker arrived. The manufacturers Trionic call these things Velopeds, so I've stayed with the initial letter and called mine Victor. After tea I took him for a walk along the road and then public footpaths and field edges and down a few hundred yards of the Essex Way before turning back and heading for home all on footpaths - and some of them are not at all easy walking!

Here's Victor on the Essex Way - and proof that I can do short distances on good surfaces without a stick.



No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...