Sunday 26 April 2020

26/04/20

Sue and I were talking about this earlier, and it's been on my mind for a few days. However the COVID-19 coronavirus situation goes - particularly if we get a second (or third) wave combined with winter 'flu - it's going to be a long time before things are back to anything like normal for the immune-compromised over-70s, and particularly for those about to become even more immune-compromised for several months. Such as people waiting for the right time to have their stem cell transplants.

There's a clear and developing view in at least part of the myeloma world that transplant may no longer be the automatic best option for the disease. There are new drugs and combinations coming along all the time, and at least two promising lines of gene therapy under development. If I have to wait a year, which I think is more than likely, then I'll be a year older and I'm already at the top end of the age range for transplant. On the other hand, that's another year for new and improved treatments to come along.

The whole myeloma "journey" from diagnosis back in September last year to now has been defined by the focus on stem cell transplant at the end. It's a bit strange adjusting to the idea that it may not happen for a lot longer, or even at all. But my response to chemo has been so good (so far) that the prospects for staying on that track and avoiding transplant - which is, of course, not entirely risk-free - must be reasonably good.

Too many unknowns here to be sure of anything, but the way ahead isn't anything like as clear as we thought it was just a couple of months ago.

1 comment:

  1. HOW TO GET YOUR EX PARTNER BACK IN 24 HOURS BY DR PADMAN

    This write up is a testimony of a spell caster i met while searching for spell casters who would help me get my ex Husband back to me and i am very happy to say that my ex Husband is back to me and is presently my husband. My name is Janet Rothschild and i am currently married to Jude Rothschild. Jude my Husband and we loved each other so much but my parents was against us seeing each other. We had a misunderstanding which was caused by family feud and we broke up but my love for him didn't leave me because he was my first love. I then contacted DR PADMAN to please help me get him back. I am happy today that my ex Husband is now with me. This is all thanks to DR PADMAN and i want all of you who needs help to seek help from this spell caster and your problem would be solved. Contact his email for help at info@padmanspell.com or (padmanlovespell@yahoo.com) https://padmanspell.com/index-3.html or call him on WhatsApp +19492293867 https://twitter.com/padman_dr.

    ReplyDelete

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...