Sunday 2 October 2022

02/10/22 Epping / Ongar

 The second (home) leg of the annual Epping/Ongar challenge this morning. I wasn't down to play (no competition boules for me this year) but got drafted in as a sub for one of the Ongar teams in Round 4. Regrettably we lost 10-13, but there's a reason for that. Possibly. Overall result - Ongar won 14-2, retaining the trophy for the sixth successive year.

That reason? A week or so ago some of the fine young people of Ongar stole a motorbike at night  and were messing around with it on the piste to such an extent that they were revving it up and tore the membrane underneath the gravel. We had to do an emergency relaying of the piste and took the opportunity to build up the low corner so the surface is now much flatter than it was. Couldn't get hold of the same kind of gravel in time, so we now have a mix of two different types. Result is that it's much more true than it was and also distinctly slower, although that may change as the new surface beds in. Anyway, everybody else had time to adjust to the new conditions but I went straight into competitive play from my first throw. That's my excuse...

In the Ongar team photo I'm third from the left in the back row, half behind the very tall Ray. I was wearing a blue Ongar fleece, but all you can see is the red "Not Today" myeloma t-shirt underneath

;


No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...