Monday 18 May 2020

18/05/20

Had a good walk/roll yesterday on the edge of the neighbouring village of Leaden Roding. It included going round the edge of the cricket ground - it's the nearest one to us but not, perhaps, in the best of condition:

















If you open up the full version of the image you can see the old thatched pavilion next to the clubhouse, and on the left of that the collapsed metalwork of the nets, which need a complete replacement. The roped-off square is just about visible if you know what you're looking for.

Of course no village cricket is being played as yet this year (if at all) because of the infernal virus.

After that we explored a new trail and found some splendid woodland we didn't know about before. The paths are flat and make for easy travel with the cross-country walker which also coped well with the one tricky  down-and-up bit to cross a ditch that we needed to do to get back to the road we started from.
















When we got home I decided it was time to check the tyre pressures on both Trionic walkers, as the one with the new tube seemed by finger pressure to be a little lower than its partner. So I did all eight wheels (that is the correct total for a four-wheeled walker and a three-wheeled one, don't ask me to explain) and had some trouble getting the end bit from either of my pumps to fit the valves and stay on without leaking. That's because these small wheels don't allow a lot of room between the valve and the hub to get a straight-on thingy (not sure what you call the bit on the end) to fit securely onto the valve. The non cross-country walker with the 12" wheels has valve stems angled outwards, presumably to avoid this problem, but there's a kind of sheath around the valve stem that doesn't leave enough exposed thread for any of my connectors (that's the word!) to get a firm enough grip. So I've been on to Amazon to find a 90 degree solution and also for a set of steel tyre levers as the plastic ones I had were not up to the job with these small tyres.

So there we are. I'm trying to get on with life and stay sane, even if that does mean breaking strict interpretation of the lockdown rules for the extremely vulnerable. I'm using - I hope - good judgement of the risks, and thinking more about the infernal virus than about my cancer. Even if Dr.Chowdhury's plans mean a return to Dex nights and 5am blog posts...

2 comments:

  1. A lovely setting for a cricket ground! I thought I saw a couple of rabbits at what might be point - the angle is a bit hard to judge field positions.

    I have a foot-operated pump with a gauge which seems to cope with most valve sizes but might not be the best thing for you to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are prettier grounds around, and better-maintained ones. But it has a certain attraction of its own. Not sure what the two things at point were - too big and too dark for rabbits, I think.

    As for pumps, all I really need is a hose with a right-angle connector for Schrader valves. But the only one like that I have is on an ancient foot pump that collapsed years ago. So I've decided to get a cordless electric pump which comes with all the right bits. It'll make the regular chore of checking the car tyres easier as well.

    ReplyDelete

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...