Tuesday, 1 February 2022

01/02/22 Fall

 A bit more excitement yesterday evening. Too save typing it all out again single-handed, here's an edited version of my post on the Myeloma UK Support group:

----------------------------------------

Last night, despite recently fitting a new grab bar, I failed to get off the shower stool properly and ended in a heap on the floor of the shower cabinet with my head stuck at a rather uncomfortable angle. Sue was in the downstairs bathroom which is the furthest part of the house where she might not have heard me. Fortunately I have a (waterproof) personal alarm round my neck and I used it to call for help. The operator phoned our landline just as Sue was getting out of her bath. The idea of a couple of paramedics in an ambulance was dismissed with expected waiting time of TWELVE HOURS -"they're very busy!". So we phoned a neighbour who helped us before when I had a fall on the evening of getting back from hospital a couple of weeks ago.
After a good deal of planning and preparation he and his wife got me back on my rather shaky feet again. With Sue's invaluable help, bless her, I then made it to bed so the usual post-shower jobs of facebook admissions and blogging didn't get done.
OK this morning apart from an even stiffer neck than usual. It could easily have been a broken leg or worse. I've ordered a new non-slip mat from Amazon and we're replacing the rather insecure shower stool with a chair that's been stored in an outbuilding since my Achilles tendon surgery back in 2014.
The moral of this story is in the value of personal emergency alarms. Mine definitely p[roved its worth last night.

------------------------------------

A new mini-rash has appeared on my right wrist - bigger than the recent ones at 4 or 5mm across. Interesting in view of the fact that I've been off both Dex and Len for close to three weeks now.. Does this point a finger at one of the "supportive" meds that I'm still taking?

3 comments:

  1. No broken bones, that is indeed a blessing. In hind sight one might laugh, but at the time it is indeed a serious thing. Been there with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, my husband looked like an upside down turtle.

    ReplyDelete

08/10/2026 The best laid plans...

Well, so much for my plan to post rather more frequently. This may have been the longest break yet. The plain fact is that there hasn't ...