Sunday 20 February 2022

20/02/22 Power cut, Crocs

A rather difficult time with a 24-hour power cut thanks to Storm Egbert, or whatever it was called. We had winds as high as I can remember in twenty years here, but got away lightly with just one fence panel damaged.

24 hours doesn't sound all that bad but it made things very hard for us. My new armchair was stuck in the "stand up" position, and we didn't know how many trips the stairlift had left in its battery. Just one flush in the upstairs W.C. because it has an electrically-powered macerator. One of these days I'll write about its green and environmental failures, but not tonight. No heat and no hot water of course, but we do have a log burner and a big Calor gas heater as well as a Calor gas wok burner in the kitchen which lets us boil a pan of water. Plus lots of torches here and there about the house. So things might have been a lot worse.

Obviously I can't do a lot in my current state and have to have a lot of things done for me, and Sue was absolutely magnificent in getting us through it. No praise I could write would be enough.

A couple of her friends came round on the second afternoon (yesterday) bearing gifts of sandwiches, cakes, cappuccinos, and the like. More than welcome!

Hard to describe what a relief it is to have the power back on.

Sue's collection of nightlights and candles downstairs (copied from Facebook):















For some strange reason my new Crocs have not met with complete approval. I think they brighten the place (and my mood) up no end. No accounting for taste:




1 comment:

  1. The storm was Eunice. It featured quite extensively in weekend television news here. Good that you were able to survive reasonably well with alternatives to electric devices.

    ReplyDelete

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...