Thursday 17 February 2022

17/02/22 Scooter

Yesterday morning we went the Lifestyle and Mobility shop in Harlow to continue our pursuit of a mobility scooter for me. Sue and I both think it's the right time to take the step - even if there's a big improvement in my current mobility a scooter will still be a big help in keeping me independent and being able to get to starting points for decent walks. And, with this disease, I'm going to need one at stage so might as well get started now before the prices go up with inflation.../

We actually started the search a few days ago and settled on a very nice model in the belief that we could get it into the back of my car with a boot hoist to handle the heavy lifting. But it turned out that although it might just fit through the boot opening (probably) it was heavy enough at 107kg to need a bigger hoist than can be fitted to the inside of a Focus. So we had to cancel that deal and re-calibrate to smaller and lighter scooters. We tried what seemed the likeliest folding model but it was too cramped and uncomfortable - too many design compromises for the sake of the folding mechanism. In the end we went for a non-folding lightweight which is far more comfortable, drives nicely, and at less than 80kg will work with the smallest model of boot hoist. Here I am testing it out in the shop:














It'll take two or three weeks to get the scooter delivered and the boot hoist fitted - more photos then.


In the meantime, Springfield later today for more bloods and next month's meds. I think the chemo nurses will be a little surprised to see me arriving in a wheelchair!

2 comments:

  1. Part of the Christmas parade in my town is a race along two blocks for people driving gophers, as they're called here. It might be something to aspire to...

    ReplyDelete

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...