Saturday 5 February 2022

06/02/22 Road test

When I started this blog I said my aim was to update every one or two days - so no apology for the lack of a post yesterday. I just couldn't think of anything fresh to write about - although I forgot last month's blood test results - all good, with PPs on zero and FLCs all in normal range. The next set, reflecting the first few weeks off both Len and Dex, may have a different story to tell.

A for my current state, getting up the stairs seems harder every day and the left arm PN seems to be extending upwards from the hand into the forearm. Not good news. The stairlift, if it actually manages to arrive tomorrow, will make the stairs vastly easier but will also remove a good deal of exercise. I will have to find an effective substitute. I don/'t want to the way of both parent who, after moving into a bungalow, gradually lost the ability to cope with stairs or more than a few steps. 

Yesterday we finally got out for a little fresh air and exercise. The air was certainly fresh - cold and blustery - and the exercise (for me) was rather minimal. The idea was to give the wheelchair a road test at Bocking and Braintree Public Gardens because t's pretty flat with good well-surfaced paths. The reality was to prove that what seems flat on foot seems very different pushing a 14 and a half stone man along. It's more than I can ask of Sue, and the chair is obviously going to have to be 99% restricted to indoor use. We're both starting to see the possibility of a mobility scooter coming over the horizon... I will be doing some research.














The toasted cheese and red onion sandwiches were excellent...

One of the wheelchair issues we identified today is that I can only be of much help with my right hand - but that pushes the chair to the left and Sue has to resist that (consequent twisting strain on her back) as well as pushing ahead. My lefty hand is of little value because I have neither strength nor much grip in it. Not a lot of feeing either, so the sheepskin glove I had on that hand gradually worked its way off without me feeling a thing until I noticed it was missing. Three times I had to send Sue back to recover it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...