Saturday 14 March 2020

14/03/20

Yesterday, after two days of stem cell harvesting, I was very tired and a bit brain-foggy for much of the day - exactly as expected. It's a reaction to the chemicals used in the apheresis machine to stop the blood clotting on the way back. Didn't get to sleep as much through the day as I might have liked because we had a few domestic things to sort out including a replacement part for the tumble dryer that didn't fit because it was a millimeter oversize, and a confusion over a couple of my prescription meds that was entirely my fault. Needless to say, I started feeling a bit better as the early hours of the morning approached...

I have to go back to The London Clinic on Wednesday 18th for yet more tests. For  kidney function they inject a contrast medium and then do some sort of test at two-hour intervals - I'm not yet sure what - except that it's in the Nuclear Medicine section. In one of those gaps I have to go to another building to repeat the virus tests (HIV and etc.) that they did a couple of weeks ago - not because they revealed any problem but because they have to be done within 30 days of transplant, and the first ones will have "expired" by then. And liver function tests and heart tests with (another) ECG, an echogram, and more. I could do without another London trip,  not least because of the costs involved in avoiding public transport and keeping COVID-19 risks to the minimum, but it has to be done. At least I'm not booking many concert tickets these days, which will help pay for the taxis. And for the occasional meal at London prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...