Friday 20 March 2020

20/03/20

It's Day 80 of the Year of the Virus and Sue and I are still going round in circles about whether to stick to the planned admission date of Wednesday 25th (Day 85). I've never had a  more difficult decision to make, not least because there are so many unknowns affecting me, Sue, the viral pandemic, the effect on London (including The London Clinic) of both the virus and of the government's attempts to control its spread. This evening Boris required all pubs, clubs, restaurants, bars and etc.,  cinemas, theatres, gyms - basically anywhere where people might congregate - to close indefinitely. If I go in on the 25th and come out four weeks later (assuming that the clinic has continued to function "normally"), what kind of London will I find? And what will it be like at home, where self-isolating and 'vulnerable' Sue will have been coping by herself all that time?

There is no easy answer. Perhaps I'll speak to the insurers tomorrow. If they refuse to cover the costs of any additional treatment (i.e. one of more further cycles of chemotherapy)  necessitated by postponing the transplant, that would at least be one known in the sea of unknowns.

2 comments:

  1. I realise the difficulty of your situation but my two cents' worth: As nobody can be sure when this madness will be over, and that things are almost certainly going to get worse before they get better, including for the NHS, it seems that the best thing to do is to go ahead on the agreed date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what we keep coming back to. But as just about every doctor has said, "there are two of you in this". Is it the best thing for both of us, as well as the best thing for me?

    ReplyDelete

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...