Sunday 15 March 2020

15/03/20

First of all, my insurer's website is up and running again. I'm curious as to the total paid out so far but there's no easy way to access that. It'll need going through a couple of menu levels into the details of each invoice paid, which would be rather tedious. Something to do while self-isolated at home, perhaps...

The COVID-19 situation - and the government's response to it - is becoming increasingly worrying. There are empty shelves in the shops (so Sue tells me) and the prospect of all over-70s being required to self-isolate for no less than four months, starting in a few weeks time. If things go according to plan, I'll be safely in Level 4 of The London Clinic by then, where they have a positive air-pressure system to keep airborne infections at bay. Possibly no better place to be, even without an immune system until my new one develops fully - as long as all the medical and nursing staff are all there and fit and well rather than hospitalised themselves or self-isolating or drafted in to support the NHS. But the implications for Sue on her own at home are another matter, particularly if the self-isolation developments for over-70s rumoured today turn out to be true. Just one aspect is that she might not be able to visit. From  my point of view - well, if I have to get through maybe four weeks in hospital un-visited, that's what I'll have to do. It would be as hard, if not harder, for her - deprived of her bands and orchestra and unable to go out and meet friends in the way that means so much to her.

On the other hand, I won't be too surprised if my transplant is postponed indefinitely or until COVID-19 subsides. It would probably mean another course or two of chemo to keep things stable and the paraproteins down, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. All we know for sure is that things are developing fast and they're going to get worse before they get better.


Still feeling a bit drained by the harvesting, but better today than yesterday. We had a short walk/roll in Oaklands Park and that was no problem. Yesterday I'm not sure I cold have done even that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...