Thursday 9 July 2020

09/07/20 Stairs, walker problem, and the devil

I haven't mentioned stairs for a while. That's because they are no longer a problem. Or only a tiny one. I go up and down in the normal way and don't need a hand on a handrail or equivalent, although I still like to have one hand free for a grab just in case. That's a very big step forward from where I was only a month or so ago.

Walter the walker has a walking stick holder in two parts. The top one clamps onto the vertical tube on the right and has a rather clever rubber thing that grips the stick. Or rather, it had one. It's gone missing. I never even realised the top part was in two pieces - the bit that clamps on to the tube is there but the part that grabs the stick isn't. The missing bit isn't in the back of the car and it isn't in the garage. Obviously it was there last time I used Walter, which when we took a short drive to walk along Titus Lane in Good Easter:
























and the impassible ford, now about as low as I've ever seen it:


















So my best guess is that it must have come off when I was putting Walter back into the car after the walk. I'll try to go back to the same spot today or tomorrow, there's a small chance I may be able to find it.

I've ordered a new walking stick holder from Trionic which will let me replace the missing bit. And if by rare chance I find it first, I'll just fit the new one to the left side , giving me a choice or the ability to carry two sticks if I ever need to do that. Which, I suppose, may well happen in time as sooner or later my myeloma is going to relapse and get worse than it's been so far. And then I'll be back to hauling myself up the stairs the way I used to do...

And the devil? As several people have said on the Facebook group, the steroid Dexamethasone is the devil. Certainly at the horrendous level of 160mg a week, but bad enough at just 20. I think it's going to be either a long night or a very early morning. I might even get to see another sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...