Tuesday 28 July 2020

28/07/20 The Facebook Meloma Support UK group

Yesterday was a bit of a mixed day on the Facebook Myeloma Support UK group, and as it rained on and off (mostly on) all day I never got out and had plenty of time to read all the new posts and comments. I even managed to stay awake most of the time to do it...

Some people celebrating going into remission or good blood test results (just as I did a few days ago!), and there's somebody back home from transplant after just fourteen days in hospital. Others with sadder stories to tell about their partners dying from the later stages of myeloma, particularly of the more aggressive kind, and what they went through in the later stages. Not pleasant reading. My myeloma, fortunately, appears to be non-aggressive so far but things can change as the disease progresses. It's just brought home to me how unpredictable and individual this disease is - and how there will probably come a time when the one-way ticket to Switzerland will become an attractive option. But that's a long way way (I hope) - I'm still Stage 1 (out of 3) and hovering somewhere between first line and the inevitable second line treatment. My task right now - insofar as I have any control over it, which is not a lot - is to keep that second line as far away as possible.

Have ordered a free MyelomaUK re-usable face-mask from (obviously) MyelomaUK and made a £10 donation. It should be here mid-August. In the meantime we have plenty of surgical ones (not least because I ordered a big pack of them way back at the beginning) and a few re-usables as well. They're a pain, and so far my only regular use is for visits to Springfield Hospital, but can't be avoided so might as well do some publicity at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. The Tasmanian upper house is due to debate a voluntary assisted dying bill in coming weeks. There will be the usual objections from the Christian lobby but it might just get through and become law provided it isn't meddled with in the lower house. No chance of one in Britain any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No legislation in the pipeline but "turning a blind eye" especially in the kind of case that I might turn into is increasingly common. A prosecution for helping that would be unlikely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for this usefull article, waiting for this article like this again. Sam Lee

    ReplyDelete

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...