Friday 21 August 2020

21/08/20 Duck eggs & pill confusion

Remember that thing on my wrist that had to be a burn from an oven rack even though I didn't (and still don't) remember doing it or experiencing it any pain at all? It happened again a few days ago, on the right hand side of the original mark, and this time I definitely did touch an oven rack there while getting something out from the rack below. And it did hurt, although not a lot, and I took the time to run it under cold water. If there's any myelomatous significance to that difference, I have no idea what it is.

Something went wrong with the pills this morning - I think I must have taken both Thursday's and Friday's ones from the "routine meds and painkillers" box, meaning an accidental double dose of paracetamol and Optivision. No big problem there but it's a warning not to get too casual about the pills. I've refilled the Friday box with new pills and I'm not going to run out of any of them 

I'm totally converted to poached duck eggs. They work superbly. Crack the egg(s) into a sieve to drain off the watery part of the white, add about four times as much salt to the water as seems reasonable to increase the density so as to make the egg float and not catch on the bottom of the pan, and allow about half a minute longer than you would for a large hen's egg - three minutes or just a little over. Not forgetting a splash of white wine vinegar in the water. Drain on kitchen paper before serving. There's much less white in a duck egg than on a hen's egg and a much higher proportion of yolk so you get a well-formed result every time with a well-set white and lots of oozy yellowy-orange yolk. Delicious on a slice of good toast well-buttered (with home-made butter, obviously!) and a little Maldon sea salt and plenty of freshly-ground black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...