Saturday 12 March 2022

12/03/22 Not a quiet day

Something of a contrast to the last couple of quiet days! We started at some unearthly time in the morning so as to have the first half of breakfast and get to Springfield at 08:15 in time for my CT and X-Ray appointment at 08:30. That all went smoothly and while I was being done Sue tackled the Physio department about the collars (one soft, one rigid, apparently) that the neurosurgeon requested. Apparently they've been ordered and are on their way...

Home for the second half of breakfast and couple of hours catch-up sleep. Then - in time for the usual online backgammon game, I gave myself the job installing a new webcam to replace the dying (if not actually dead) old one. This meant moving the computer desk, which is heavy with three monitors and a load of other stuff on it. I can just about move it myself because it's on wheels and there are plenty of things I can use for support. But the space behind is still very tight and also rather dark. Disconnecting the old camera was easy enough, fitting the new one wasn't because its cable is a lot shorter - and too short to use the same USB port. So I had to play the game of moving things around from one port to another until I found an arrangement that seems to work for everything.

And so to the backgammon. We got one and  half games in and then our ultrafast fibre broadband went down. One unfortunate consequence is that our fancy new video doorbell also went dead because it communicates over the internet and with no power to the router...

As for the computer and the backgammon, in theory no big deal. I just have to switch over to the backup BT connection. But this had problems of its own - tracking down the password, an the fact that the power lead to the BT router had somehow come disconnected and dropped down behind the computer desk. So I had to drag it out again, and remember I said it was dark down there? Not easy to locate a thin black lead with an L-shaped mini-jack on the end amongst the mass of electric string down there. Twice I found it, twice I was betrayed by my bad left hand and dropped it again. And then Sue came to the rescue and that made things easier with enough working hands between us to hold a torch, find the lead, and get it plugged in to the router.

All sorted although not quickly enough to resume the backgammon, which we'll have to pick up again at another time.

Then the #1 nightmare of modern life - I lost my phone. This post is long enough already so the short version of the story is that I found it in the pocket of a pair of trousers I'd put into the washing machine an hour or two before. A lucky escape from a watery and soapy end...

Fibre broadband came back after an hour so, BTW. But quite a job to get the doorbell to go back online.


List of things I'm waiting for:

Collars

Dermatologist for the mini-rashes

CPAP machine

Reports and clinic letters from neurosurgeon and his scans

Two nerve conduction tests

Mobility scooter and hoist

My GP to organise moving a couple of pills cfrom Springfield to NHS

Probably more that I can't think of just now...


And to finish off a perfect day, just as I was about to go bed, the biggest nosebleed of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...