Friday 18 March 2022

18/03/22 Collars

 












The photo shows me being fitted with the medieval torture device also known as a neck brace or rigid collar. I took two and a bit hours of it before swapping to the "soft" foam one they also gave me. That's a lot more comfortable but doesn't limit movement as much so is probably less effective. I only took it off for my shower. Will try for two and a half hours with the rigid one tomorrow, build it up slowly.

The completely unexpected thing is how much this limited head movement affects balance and walking. Making the evening meal I couldn't get down to low-level cupboards etc. in the way I did yesterday. I hope this is something that will improve with practice and familiarity, but at the moment it feels that all the progress of the last couple of weeks has been lost.

Now I'm going to see if I can sleep with the soft version on...



No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...