Friday 20 September 2019

A step along the reality spectrum

I know this thing is real. Of course I do, I've got the diagnosis letter, I've seen the scans and the blood test results. I've got the bad hip and the rollator. I've taken more pills in the last couple of weeks that I've taken in years. But despite all that there are still levels and levels of reality to deal with.

Today I had the "planning" CT scan, where they build a computer 3-D model of the bad bit of my left hip and make sure they know exactly where it is in relation to the rest of me. All very simple and straightforward from my side - all I had to do was lie there and not move for a few minutes.

Now, people are looking at that virtual tumour and planning how to approach it in such a way as to maximise the radiation it gets and minimise the amount that hits the rest of me. Then they use that to program the radiotherapy machine to move around me in the right way to deliver the plan (and avoid blasting my bowel and bladder at the same time...)

Knowing that all of that is going on, and that  next Thursday and  for nine days afterwards these people are going to do their best to blast bits of me (although rogue ones) into oblivion - that's a whole new level of reality. And I wish them luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...