Thursday 26 September 2019

First Radiotherapy 26/09/19

The taxi turned up on time (all part of the service!), we arrived well ahead of time, and then had a bit of a wait before the tiny Asian lady radiotherapist I met at the planning scan called me through into the radiotherapy room where the other one (young and male) from last time was waiting. I was admiring the big impressive radiotherapy machine when he said "The doctors have been looking at your scan and say we have to tape your genitals over to the right to keep them out of the way."

Oh well. I abandoned all daft ideas about "modesty" long ago, but nevertheless that was a bit of a surprise. Shoes and trousers off, onto the couch, they exposed the relevant bits and constructed a sort of sling. We mutually adjusted the position for comfort and they taped everything in place. And then it was just a matter of lying there while they made minute adjustments to my position until they were happy. Then they retired into their control room and the process started, with the machine rotating around me to attack the lesion from different angles. No more than five minutes.
And then there was the delicate business of getting the tape off. I'll leave the details to your imagination...

Now, nearly eight hour later, I'm aware of a slightly different pain in the hip. Nothing to worry about (yet!), certainly not enough to give myself a dose of Oramorph.

Tomorrow morning, we do it all again. I'm not quite sure whether I'm looking forward to it or not...

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...