Wednesday 18 September 2019

Left hand, right hand...

My medications are in a bit of a mess. There are the routine ones I get from my GP, plus the new painkillers from him (before we knew for sure that it was myeloma), the other various pills  prescribed by the NHS haematologist at Broomfield Hospital who I'm not seeing any more, and the ones that Dr.Ch at Springfield Hospital might be prescribing although as I understand it my "scripting rights" (or something) haven't been set up there. Yet. Nevertheless, the Radiolologist Dr.Ha there found a way around that by writing a letter to my GP asking him to prescribe an extra painkiller (Oramorph) for the "breakthrough pain" he anticipates when I start the radiotherapy on the 26th. A good plan, except that my GP happens to be away on holiday...
So I was surprised and pleased to get a phone call this evening from another doctor at the practice (Dr.Di) to sort out the complications and make sure I've got everything I should have. I'll go in tomorrow to collect the stuff I haven't got yet or which needs re-filling as I'm running out.

Good work from the NHS, especially because I'm private now!

Also had a letter today from Abby, my new dedicated Case Manager from the health insurance people, who promises to be my dedicated point of contact and looking after my case personally...

All this, and free taxi service to and from radiotherapy sessions! I'm rapidly coming to realise there's a whole world of living with cancer that I never knew about. But it does involve an awful lot of form-filling and repetitive paperwork. Cancer must be the bureaucrat's favourite disease...

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...