Saturday 21 September 2019

Oramorph

It's been a bit of a run-around getting hold of this, with my GP being off on holiday and another one from the surgery sorting out the tangle of my prescrisptions and requests, and delayed deliveries and changed suppliers to the pharmacy. But on my third trip to collect it, I've at last got my hands on a great big bottle of Oramorph. This is intended as an immediate counter to the "breakthrough" bone pain that is expected when I start the radiotherapy (26th), as against the slow release morphine tablets I'm taking twice a day anyway, which are meant (I think) to produce a steady base level of pain-killing (probably a large part of why my walking is a lot better now than it was two or three weeks ago).


It's either a 300 or a 500ml bottle - I'm not going downstairs to check at 01:03. The dose is 5 - 10ml.
Let's say it's a 300 bottle - that's 30 10ml doses, or 60 small ones. Seems an awful lot of morphine to give out at one time.  What happens if I drink the lot in one go and use it to wash down my stash of morphine tablets as well?

I haven't looked anything up but it seems likely that would be a lethal dose. I hope nobody's trying to give me a hint...

Not that I'm even remotely thinking that way. Not in the slightest. I know the one-way ticket to Switzerland, or some such alternative, may seem to become the right thing to do somewhere down the line. But as the First Sword of Braavos would have said to the God of Death, "Not today". I have a Big Myeloma Adventure to live through first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...