Monday 16 November 2020

16/11/20 Thermometers, glasses, face-masks

Ever since the start of my myeloma I've been using a digital in-ear thermometer every morning - in theory. In practice I sometimes forget, it's fiddly thing to use especially if I've already put the hearing aids in, and you have to put a new little clear plastic cap on the sensor every time - which means buying a few boxes of new ones every couple of months. No doubt it's more accurate than anything else, but it's also something of a pain. So I've now got an infra-red forehead thermometer which is very quick and easy and lives under my #1  computer monitor so it's always ready to hand. The in-ear thermometer is now reduced to a double-check role if the other one shows a temperature approaching the limit in either direction.

A couple of weeks ago I accidentally damaged my rimless glasses, leaving the right-hand side piece at about 90 degrees to where it should be. I made an appointment and took them into Specsavers where one of their guys very efficiently put things right. But a few days ago the left hand fixing became loose, leaving the lenses sitting wrong and the glasses falling off far too easily. So I made another appointment with Specsavers for today, and they fixed this problem as well, along with a warning that next time would probably mean sending them away for a few days. All OK - but the problem was that you cant go into any kind of shop these days without a facemask on. And there is something about facemasks that nobody seems to talk about - if you also use your ears for hearing aids and glasses, it's the easiest thing in the world to flip a hearing aid out while positioning and adjusting the ear loops. That's what happened to my left one as I was putting the mask on before going into Specsavers. Couldn't find it anywhere - must have gone down between the seats but my big fear was that it had lodged somewhere on my clothes and had fallen off outside the car. They are insured, but...

Got home, found a good torch, and started contorting my spine into shapes that neither God nor Darwin had anticipated in order to look into the near-inaccessible spaces under the seats. Seeing something down there is of course not the same as being able to get it out undamaged. But I did recover it eventually. Whether my back will recover is something I'll find out about in the morning. Lots of Deep Heat before then, I think.

Also collected a copy of the Parkinson's referral letter from the GP surgery, so tomorrow I'll start 'phoning neurologist's secretaries in search of an appointment.

Managed to fit a short walk in between finding the hearing aid (much relief!) and the regular online backgammon at 17:00. Went along the A1060 to the Four Wantz (that's Essex for a crossroads) then down Ongar Road as far as Grays, and back again. For detailed maps of the Parish, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...