Tuesday 8 October 2019

08/10/19 (2)

My plan of maximum rest seems to have worked quite well. Not much pain today (either bone or soft tissue) and the "lurch to the left" in walking without a stick has got a lot better, although I'm still terribly slow. But it does seem to be on the way back to the good place it was in some days ago. And no need for Oramorph!
OTOH I've felt seriously tired out all day. Have spent too much time stretched out in front of the TV and the computer, failing to raise the energy to do anything much or even watch intelligently. Whether that's lack of activity, or too much activity yesterday, or days of sleep deprivation, or even an after-effect of the radiotherapy, I don't know. Just hoping for a better sleep tonight before tomorrow, when I plan on going into the bank to talk about some financial planning that we have to think about.

Sue was out for much of the day, having lunch with her group of friends, also known as "the ladies who lunch" and mainly drawn from Special School colleagues. So they're not local, and they don't get to met up IRL all that often. I gather that they all said very supportive things, and there was a lot about how brave and positive she's being on Facebook etc. - so at the end she had a bit of a moment and let a lot of suppressed emotion out.

Both consultants have stressed - quite rightly - that although I'm the one with the myeloma, in a very real sense we've both got the disease. She goes through the journey with me, her life is turned upside-down as much as mine, and we will have highs and lows together. And sometimes at different times, which will be testing. She will need all her friends, just down the road and further away. And I have no doubt that they will deliver.
I'm hugely grateful for all her support, whatever form it takes. Including coming with me to all the appointments, making the notes, asking the questions I don't think of. And far subtler things than those.
We're in this together. I must always remember that, and look for ways to show it. It's not just me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...