Thursday 10 October 2019

Music of Cream

I'm a huge fan of 1960's "supergroup" Cream. They were simply the best band ever. No contest. Jack Bruce died a few years back, Ginger Baker just a few days ago. Eric Clapton survives, but arthritis in his hands means he hardly plays live any more.

I booked a ticket months ago for a tour date at the Cadogan Hall by "Music of Cream" - a band made up of Jack's son Malcolm on bass, Ginger's son Kofi on drums, and Eric's nephew Will John on guitar. They play the old music, with few modern twists as well.

I never heard Cream live back in the day. I did go to one of the 2005 re-union dates at the Albert Hall (before that tour fell apart with yet another Bruce v Baker bust-up in New York). I've heard a couple of tribute bands. I was really excited about this Cadogan Hall gig, and it's on the 11th before possible chemo complications kick in. The only problem about getting there is my reduced mobility, but I was happy to pay for an Uber from my usual Just Park spot to the Cadogan Hall just off Sloane Square in order to avoid the difficulties of the Tube.

But but but... Extinction Rebellion. They have a huge protest in Westminster, just a couple of tube stops and little more than a short (normal) walk from Sloane Square and the Cadogan Hall. Even if the full-scale protests don't extend that far there's bound to be very great disruption of travel from people coming and going to the demonstrations and others trying to find ways around it to deal with their ordinary lives. It could be complete chaos. With two sticks and very limited range, dare I risk getting caught up in all that? One push and a fall and with my various bone lesions I could end up with a fractured pelvis or spine and then everything would be a disaster...

I really want to get there. It would mean a hell of a lot to me. But all reason says I should abandon the idea, just as I abandoned the ENO season.

If not for XR I would certainly drive to Redbridge, park in my usual Just Park spot, and go by Uber to the Cadogan Hall door.  And back again, even with Uber's post-theatre surge pricing. But as things are, with every possibility of the roads and public transport around Westminster and Sloane Square being full of XR protesters, I don't think I can risk it. I know Sue doesn't want me to go. If I do go and it goes wrong, there'll be nobody there to help.

A difficult choice.I'll hate myself for giving in if I don't go. I'll be taking a huge chance if I do. Don't know what to do.

To quote a Cream lyric:

I'm so glad
I'm so glad
I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad
Don't know what to do
Don't know what to do
Don't know what to do
Tired of weeping
Tired of moaning
Tired of crying for you
I'm so glad
I'm so glad
I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad
Tired of weeping
Tired of moaning
Tired of groaning for you



1 comment:

  1. It's rotten you can't go, but I'd worry so much if you did....

    ReplyDelete

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...