Tuesday 29 October 2019

Another notch on the reality stick


Felt a bit low last night. went to bed and woke up two or three hours later shivering cold. Thought it was just a cold night so put a dressing gown on top of the duvet and a pair of socks on my feet and that seemed to do the job. Went back to sleep and woke up at a sensible time but feeling bad and tired out. Sure very sensibly got the digital ear thermometer out and i was 38.5 which is high enough to be a problem.  So we got on the phone to the Oncology Centre, had some bloods and a chest x-ray done, and the outcome is that I'm being admitted for a couple of nights while they work out what antibiotics I need and fill me full of them. Obviously I've picked up an infection of some sort.
It's a valuable reminder that although things have been going well so far I am in a more vulnerable state than normal and need to be more thorough monitoring myself. If I'd been a bit quicker on the uptake I might have spotted the raised temperature a few hours earlier, although I'm not sure that would have made much practical difference in the middle of the night. 

Live and learn, I suppose. Be more careful!

Feeling sorry for Sue who has lost a whole day dealing with this, and most of tomorrow as well. In some ways it messes her life up more than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...