Wednesday, 9 October 2019

Reality check

One thought I keep coming back to, and again this morning (01:15) after Sue's understandable and emotional reaction to sympathy yesterday: have I really, fully, faced up to this yet?

The standard answer is yes, I had a year with MGUS knowing that development into Myeloma was possible (if unlikely, and I didn't expect it this soon!) But at least the thought was in the back of my mind so the diagnosis wasn't a bolt from the blue. It was rather more like that for Sue, because, well, she didn't have the MGUS. It was a couple of reality levels further away for her, therefore a bigger shock when the time came to jump those levels.

When I voiced some of these thoughts to my GP Dr.Ku he just said "Still in denial?" I hadn't thought of it quite that way, but he has something of a knack for getting to the heart of a point.

I don't think it's denial. I'm not rejecting the diagnosis or challenging the validity of the test results, or the treatment plan I've been given or anything like that. But maybe it's a bit more subtle. Maybe I'm concentrating on "one step at a time" to the point of refusing to see the big picture and where this is heading.

Again, I don't think so. I've said before that I'm almost relieved to know what will most probably be on my death certificate. And I'm sure that some of the alternatives could be a lot worse. I've said to several people that we all know where we're going in the end, I just know a bit more than most about what my path to that place is likely to be. That's a gift I might prefer not to have, but the cards have been dealt and I'm happy with the ones I've got.

Maybe the one thing that would make a difference  would be if I were told that I couldn't have a transplant after all and that my likely lifespan were to be reduced to just a few years and most of them in a bad way with one infection after another and all the rest of myeloma - bone pain, fatigue, fractures, a non-functional gut, and a compromised immune system. Given all that, I might well be looking into the train timetables for a one-way ticket to Switzerland, But we're not there yet. Not by a long way. There's a long road to follow, and I aim to make the best I can of every inch of it.

But that nagging mind-worm of doubt is still there. Have I really, truly, taken in what this means for both of us? Maybe the answer will only become clear further along...

No comments:

Post a Comment

08/10/2026 The best laid plans...

Well, so much for my plan to post rather more frequently. This may have been the longest break yet. The plain fact is that there hasn't ...