Wednesday 25 December 2019

Christmas Eve

An unusual Christmas Eve, to say the least. It started with a routine visit to the Oncology Centre at Springfield Hospital for more bloods in preparation for Cycle 3 starting on Friday 27th. I had a few other things to do and got home mid-afternoon to be met with Sue needing help dealing with some recalcitrant computer problems, and advice that the (partially) unilateral nature of the ankle/foot/calf oedema suggested possible DVT and that I should get it checked out by a doctor. Sue rang the surgery and the duty doc "strongly advised" going straight to A&E (ER for Americans) to get it checked out - possibly involving a Doppler ultrasound scan. So that was our Christmas Eve evening.

Arrived at Broomfield A&E 17:35, left at 20:45, arrived at nearest KFC two minutes before closing time and just got something to eat back at home. In between periods of waiting in A&E (first in the main waiting area, then in a small separate room because of my compromised immune system), I had the second blood test of the day, an ECG, and eventually a doctor who took a detailed history, measured my legs, and was on the verge of prescribing precautionary Rivaroxaban (blood thinner) when I told him I'm already on that because of the DVT risk associated with steroids and some of the other things in my chemo regime. So he went off to consult a colleague and they decided no need for a Doppler scan and we were free to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...