Saturday 5 September 2020

05/09/20 Water butt and air cooling

 Not much to record for yesterday. It was one of those days where I seem to have been quite busy with small things but never found the opportunity for a walk. It wasn't helped by the timing of the Tesco delivery, right in the middle of the block of time I might have used otherwise.

The people who sold me the water butt (through Amazon Marketplace) have agreed a return, but things moved on overnight. We had enough rain to fill the water butt up to the point where the rainwater diverter goes in. This gave enough water pressure to "pop" the dent out (which did not happen when I filled it from a hose). That straightened the area around the tap hole enough to reduce the drip to less than half the original rate. I emptied the water out and was able to tighten the tap rather more than before. I've refilled from the hose and now there is no sign of a leak around the tap, although it is still off-true rather than on the centre line. I think the way forward now is to leave things for a week or two and see how it goes, as I have 30 days to do the return if it's needed. 

I've installed a couple of "personal space coolers" (mini air-conditioners with evaporative cooling) either side of my computer desk - not needed as much now as they would have been a few weeks ago when the combined heat output of my rather complicated computer and the TV made things close to intolerable in here. My hope is that they will reduce, if not eliminate altogether, the need for the fan which blasts air across my neck and shoulders and I'm sure contributes to the various muscular problems I get in those parts.









"Personal Space Cooler" at bottom left - there's another one out of shot on the right. T20 highlights against Australia on the TV, blood pressure monitor just below the middle of the three monitors. You can just see the edge of the right hand one if you know what you're looking at...

That's all for today. I keep taking the tablets and waiting for the next lot of bloods (full results should be in on the 18th) and hoping that the paraproteins and free light chains will stay where they are. Sooner or later it's inevitable that they will start to go up again, that's the nature of this remission-relapse disease. And then it will be the big decision - move on to second line chemo, or do the transplant.

Live music is starting, very tentatively, to return to a few of my regular haunts. It's very tempting to take a chance and go to something, but my policy is clear. Not until there's a vaccine that works for immune-compromised people, and I've had it. If that means no live music for another year, as it very well might, that's too bad. I think I've bought enough tickets over the last few years to have done my bit for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...