Monday 7 September 2020

07/09/20 Pork loin with beetroot

Spent much of the day in the kitchen, with Pill Organisation, butter-making, and this evening's rather complicated dinner. It's good for me to get stuck into some proper cooking from time to time, but the trapped nerve (or whatever it is) in my right thigh doesn't like the amount of standing that's involved. 40mg of Amitriptyline a day keeps it under control most of the time, but when it breaks through that it's as bad as ever. No choice but to sit down, slap my thigh as hard as I can a few times (what I really feel like doing is sticking a knife into it) and waiting for the searing burning pain to go away. This is nothing to do with my myeloma - it goes back some thirty-five years at least.

Getting caught up with all that I completely forgot to take my lunchtime pills after a home-made tuna mayo sandwich (I made the tuna mayo for Sue, who was out at a first birthday party for the son of a friend). Fortunately none of them are time-critical so I just added them to the evening batch.

The meal - a sort of Eastern-European inspired Griddled Pork Loin steaks with Beetroot, Red and White Onions, Apples, Caraway, and Paprika - turned out well and gave an opportunity to use my new "professional" mandoline on the onions. The old - and rather more amateur - one somehow disappeared during the last clear-out of the kitchen cupboards and drawers. Can't believe that I threw it out on purpose, and Sue denies all knowledge... IMHO a kitchen is not complete without a decent mandoline, even if you don't use it very often.

I'm annoyed that I forgot about the sour cream which was supposed to go on the veggies, but half the dish is in the freezer and the sour cream is OK until the 19th, so we can try again in a week or so.











That's it, with half a (microwaved) "baked" potato as well. A recipe worth saving.

Water butt update - a tiny leak where the rainwater diverter enters the butt, but that's no problem. The seal around the tap is still good, no leakage down there.

Constipation update - pretty much back to normal on one Senna a night. But this is my last week of Lenalidomide on the current cycle, it's just dex from Wednesday onwards. That change might well throw things off balance again.

Tues 15th will mark the end of the originally planned four cycles of "consolidation". I'm not quite sure what Dr.Ch will want to move on to after that - original plan was low-dose "maintenance" Lenalidomide only, but last 'phone consultation suggested he wanted to keep some level of dex going as well. I have another 'phone consultation with him booked for the 14th, so should know more after that.




No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...