Wednesday 23 September 2020

23/09/20 (2) Missing FBC

I got fed up waiting for a  response to my email asking about the missing Full Blood Count numbers from my last set of bloods so I 'phoned Springfield Chemo. They checked the records and found that part of the analysis hadn't been done - they say somebody had forgotten to tick an all-important box.

I went in again this afternoon and they took another sample, borrowing one of the radiotherapy rooms downstairs in the Oncology Centre because all the chemo bays upstairs were in use. I had to wait just a few minutes before a printout of the results arrived - these automated analysers are remarkable machines. The only thing is that platelets are down below the lower limit again, but they keep fluctuating either side of that so no need to panic.

There's an aspect of this that the chemo nurses are concerned about - I got my full package of meds for the current cycle without a complete set of blood results being available, and the policy is that they don't issue the meds unless the bloods say it's OK to do so. That's why I always have bloods done a few days before the end of one cycle and before the start of the next. Fortunately all is OK and that hasn't led to a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

25/03/24 Back to Boules

First session of 2024 yesterday as the temperature was not too bad yesterday morning and for once it wasn't raining. Played two doubles ...