Saturday 19 December 2020

19/12/20 Consultant letters

I saw Dr.Zo (neurologist) privately late afternoon on December 2nd. Yesterday (18th), during a call to my GP surgery about something else, I discovered that they had not received his diagnosis letter - which explains why I haven't had the promised copy. That saved me a 'where is it?" phone call to his secretary, although I expect I'll make one early next week. My insider contact describes this delay for a private consultation as "simply unacceptable".  I'm inclined to agree.

On the NHS side, I saw Dr.Da on the 14th. My insider tells me that two to four weeks is normal for a letter to the GP (and, with luck, a copy to me), so that means I shouldn't be expecting anything yet. But why not? It seems reasonable to expect the consultant to write up his notes and dictate a letter within two or three days (if not same or next day) which means that with a moderately well-organised secretarial and postal system the letters should reach their destination within a week. And why are we still talking about the post? Have they not heard of email?

As so often, the NHS is superb on the front line but the administrative systems that underlie it all are antiquated, error-prone, and grossly inefficient. I could write a book - and if you put together all my posts elsewhere about my experiences over the last few years (going way back before my myeloma) - you would have a good start on one. 

I'm feeling a bit annoyed tonight, which is probably obvious. If I can manage to turn up on time for appointments all by myself, why can't the doctors with all their support people get the admin stuff done on a reasonable schedule?

No complaints here about any of the consultants I've dealt with at Springfield (or Broomfield) about my cancer. Communications with me and my GP have been fine - to the point where my GP has been heard to complain about the amount of historical detail he has toi wade through every time after the monthly 'phone consultation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...