Monday 4 January 2021

04/01/21 Dentist again, & lockdown #3

All went OK with taking the bloods at Springfield this morning, and I got them to add vitamins D and B12 to the usual list. Then to the dentists, where I let myself get thoroughly annoyed by having to wait outside in the car for the best part of forty minutes before being called in. The news is that the patch of exposed bone - which is no longer causing me any problem at all - is looking pretty much unchanged and still healthy. I had been hoping that it had miraculously healed itself, but no such luck. The nearby tooth which had flaked off another bit will need a crown once the jawbone is sorted out. She ground the sharp bit down a little, which is an improvement.

Had the monthly 'phone consultation with Dr.Ch this evening, and we spent most of it talking about the vaccination rollout - which means no big myeloma concerns at the moment. He's seen most of the results from this morning's bloods (but not the PPs or FLCs of course) and has authorised the next package of meds, which I'll pick up from Springfield tomorrow. I asked him one question - as all my white cell numbers are normal or very close, does this mean that my immune system is only mildly (or even minimally) compromised or in a worse state than that? Short answer: as for bacterial infections, probably still pretty good; as for viral infections, really no way to tell. Which is about as helpful as I expected...

Well, after Boris's 8pm announcements, here we go again. Full lockdown, tier 5, whatever you call it. It isn't going to affect us anything like as badly as it will affect many - probably most - others. The unfairness, and this has been true all the way from last March to here, is that Sue (being merely clinically vulnerable) has to do more of the extra shopping etc. than I get to do because I'm clinically extremely vulnerable. At least for much of last year's first lockdown we could get out into the woods and fields but that's less tempting now because the fields have turned to mud and the temperatures are near-freezing. If we get the forecast bad winter there'll be snow and ice as well. I foresee a couple of cases of cabin fever coming up. I think we'll need all our reserves of patience, especially while we're waiting for vaccination. By mid-February for the first shot, Boris tells us. Maybe sooner, if yesterday's Matt Hancock letter is to be believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...