Friday 22 November 2019

22/11/19

Took Sue to the Basildon Cardiology Unit as planned. She had one coronary artery completely blocked, and that one now has two stents in it. They're keeping her in overnight, and I'll collect late morning. So this will be my first "home alone" night since all this started, and it is just a little scary. What happens if, for instance, I wake up feeling lousy, shivering, and running a temperature again?

Anyhow, complete farce getting out of the multi-storey car park at the hospital. To start with, an 8-minute walk to get there - and with my mobility issues that's quite enough. I was told to take my private patient exit permit to the attendant in his office on Level A.

There is no Level A.

When I found the office on Level G, it was closed with two notices directing people to the Security Office in Main Reception. So off I went, including taking a wrong turn in the dark that I had to re-trace, putting my daily step count well beyond what I can really handle these days. I found the Security Office and guess what?

Closed, with a notice sending people to the Car Park Attendant's Office.

All the way back to the car again, and I headed for the exit intending to use the intercom there to try to talk to somebody. I stopped a little past the intercom button and was just about to reverse back to it when the barrier lifted and I thought I'm not wasting any more time here and drove straight out. So they'll have me registered as not paying. Well, we'll deal with that one later.

Eventually got home 22:45. Had intended to stop for fish'n'chips, but too late for our "local" chippy. So beans on toast with a fried egg on top instead, followed by strawberries for dessert and my late night pills. Forgot the Senna and had to go back downstairs for them. Cats are both in but obviously recognise that something's not right with Sue being away. And now for my shower, only 45mins later than usual.

It's another dex night tonight. I've set my alarm for 07:30, don't know how much sleep I'll get before that. If I'm really desperate I'll watch last night's Question Time...

4 comments:

  1. As one whose life is often ruled by the machinations of Murphy of The Law, I thought your experience was somewhat beyond fair play, even for Murphy. I hope there are no nasty after effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I thought too. No sign of adverse effects yet, but I may well be a bit stiff and sore around the left hip in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked up Basildon to see where it is in relation to your home, and was delighted to notice the Wat Tyler Centre, surely a name that needs preserving in some way, and a place called Thundersley, which sounds like something from a Monty Python sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basildon itself consists largely of dual carriageways and roundabouts, and is reputed to be the spiritual home of Tony Blair's typical voter "Basildon Man" and of "Essex girls". The Wat Tyler Country Park isn't as scenic as some, but there is interesting history there. I don't think I've ever been into Thundersley, although I've driven past many times. There's an interesting occasional little jazz club at the Old Fire Station in Hadleigh, very close by.

    ReplyDelete

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...