Monday 25 November 2019

Gout

One of my regular daily pills has been Allopurinol, which is a treatment for gout. More precisely, it reduces the level of uric acid in the blood. It took me a couple of days after receiving my Cycle 2 package of pills from the Springfield Pharmacy to realise that I had no Allopurinol left. Mild panic ensued...

Three possibilities:

1. The pharmacy failed to issue it,
2. The pharmacy did issue it but I somehow managed to mislay a whole pack of the pills,
3. The pharmacy didn't issue it because I'm no longer supposed to have it.

I phoned the chemo nurses to explain the problem, and had to go in there today anyway for more bloods. It turns out that explanation 3 is correct. Daily Allopurinol is for the first five-week chemo cycle only, after that it's "on demand" if uric acid levels go up or gout-like symptoms develop.

Nobody told me that. It would have saved a lot of worry time if I had known in advance that it was only for the first cycle. I'm now left wondering how many more little surprises like that are lying in wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...