Tuesday 3 August 2021

03/08/21 Face to face consultation

I had my face-to-face with haematologist Dr.Ch yesterday morning. Not, to be honest, very productive. He said I was looking well and I said I felt fine apart from the fatigue/tiredness and the fight that I know is going on inside even if it doesn't show on the surface. He has nothing to suggest for that apart from the sleep apnea investigation, and who knows how long that will take under the NHS these days?

I corrected a minor error in his (rather late) GP letter - my COVID antibody test result was >0.8 rather than >0.3. That's a memory failure on my part, I gave him the wrong number.

I asked about the blood film results on the last set of bloods:

"Clinician Film Request Comment: Mild monocystosis. Atypical lymphocytes seen. Red cells show macrocytosis"

I've not had a report like that before, although Dr.Ch assures me they ask for a visual check on a blood smear every time.

In plain English, I've got a few more monocytes than usual. Not a problem. And some unusual lymphocytes, which might develop into a problem. And some larger than usual red cells (I still prefer "red corpuscles" because when mature they have no nucleus and therefore aren't true cells). This got us into an in-depth discussion of bone marrow and red cell production, and I didn't follow all of it well enough to re-create here. Basically, not a problem but needs keeping an eye on.

That's about it. Going out for breakfast later, followed by going somewhere presently unknown to walk at least some of it off. Boules at Tower (under the floodlights) in the evening, which will be my last chance for some decent practice before the match for Thorley / Birchanger tomorrow.

Surprisingly few decent images of human blood smears appear on a quick search.This one will have to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...