Sunday 8 August 2021

08/08/21 (2) Writtle Jazz Festival

This blog is supposed to be about living with Myeloma but inevitably that has meant living with COVID-19 as well. I've long had this date marked as my return to live music (first since March 2020) - particularly suitable as it's part open air and part in two big tents with ample ventilation. Inside the tents I found myself places with nobody else too close and also near the open sides, so the COVID risk was as small as possible to make it. That's why the photos aren't as good as they might be. Hardly anyone, BTW, was wearing a face-mask.

I won't bother to name the bands or musicians, except for Paul Higgs's "Pavane" with Natalie Rosario on cello and an unusual arrangement of the rhythm section: Chris Ingham on keys (with lockdown hair) and guitar on the left, George Double (probably the best drummer of the festival) in the centre, and bass on far right. Also, the first one was taken very early on before most people had arrived. Note the jazz-loving dog in the third pic.


















That was a long day - I was there from 11:45 to 21:00 but well worth it. The next thing was due to be Saffron Opera Group's Tannhauser at Saffron Hall, but it's been postponed (for the second time) until September 2022. Possibly just as well, because with my fatigue and tendency to fall asleep, I'm not entirely sure I could stay awake through an entire Wagner opera these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...