Friday 5 November 2021

05/11/21 Antibodies again, and senna

I asked Superdrug if they could give me more detail on the antibody test result, beyond just ">0.8U/ml" which appears to be the threshold between a negative and a positive result, and this came back:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Crisp,

Thanks for contacting us. 

Your spike protein antibody level is:

Outcomes
COVID-19 SEROLOGY.
Roche Anti-SARS-CoV-2-S Result1322.0 U/mL
Anti-SARS-CoV-2-S QualitativePOSITIVE
< 0.8 U/mL Negative
>= 0.8 U/mL Positive
Clinical CommentSARS-CoV-2-S Total Ab Positive
Consistent with either SARS-CoV-2 infection or
immunisation at some time.
Methodology: Roche ECLIA

This is as reported by our lab using the Roche Elecsys® Anti-SARS-CoV-2 S test. 

There is, as yet, no international standard for antibody levels, and therefore your value is not comparable to any other test result. The units and measuring criteria Roche use are for their analysis alone. And because this is a new and emerging field with limited data, we are unable to say whether your level is high or low, or how much immunity this might provide you with. We also cannot say how long it might remain at this level; we just don’t know yet. 

Thank you for using Superdrug Online Doctor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

That puts me some 1,650 times above the 0.8 threshold which has got to be better than being close to it. I'm very happy with the result despite the various unknowns. It seems to me that it shows that my immune system is still in a good enough state to mount a defence against COVID-19 spike protein antigens. Given that capability plus whatever memory functions there may be, it looks as if I'm in a pretty good place to deal with any COVID infection I might get. Which is encouraging, but isn't going to stop me being careful!

Otherwise, another rather lazy day at home concentrating on recovery from that right shoulder injury. It feels pretty good now and if anything the problems have moved to the left, which is their more usual  home. Nevertheless I did somehow beat my rather modest activity target.

My main concern is to be in good shape for the Winter League match at Earl's Colne on Sunday morning. If the weather's OK later I'll go to Ongar for some gentle practice, and do my best to avoid getting drawn into a game and pushing the shoulder too far.

I haven't mentioned the constipation issue for a while, mainly because it's going reasonably well. I haven't needed a Fybogel or a Laxido for several weeks and I get along on one Senna a night - or none if I want to be sure of a clear morning, usually followed by a compensatory two the next night to get back to the standard seven Sennas a week. It's a considerable relief to have reached this level of predictability and control after what went before... I just hope it lasts. One of the less agreeable side-effects of the treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...