Thursday 25 November 2021

24/11/21 RUDY, FGFR3, finger splits

Did my RUDY (Rare Diseases Study) blood samples day before yesterday at the Chelmsford Central Health Hub. A bit more waiting time than on the last couple of occasions, plus the usual referral from a junior phlebotomist up to a senior one even though it's the third RUDY one I've done there, they're familiar with the paperwork and the procedure etc.. The main thing they were concerned about was whether I would post the completed and sealed package or whether they were supposed to do it. I do it as always. Anyway, they had to use both arms to get enough blood out. Something went wrong with the left one after three blood tubes, so over to the other side for the fourth one.

Attended a Parish Council meeting yesterday in person - first time  for quite a while. Updated everybody on the myeloma, wore a facemask and sat up the far end of the table. Most of the others used masks. And I feel OK today, so far... 

A bit of a memory-refresher for me on that FGFR3 gene and its location at 4p16. 4 means chromosome 4, p means the short arm (from French 'petit', believe it or not),  and 16 refers to band 16. The gene itself - of which half of my plasma cells appear to have three copies not the customary two, is  "Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor Three" and it's responsible for making a protein crucial to production of connective tissues and extracellular structures in general - including bone.  Also known as CD333.

We went to Oaklands Park for a shortish walk intended to be followed by a light lunch at M&S in the Clock Tower  Retail Park. But the cafe is temporarily closed in favour of more retail space over Christmas and New Year, so we ended up at Costa for a toasted sandwich instead.









Costa is just out of sight on the right. Exciting, isn't it? The glories of C21 Chelmsford. Actually, it's rather useful for us to have that M&S Food Store on our side of the city.


Bad news on the finger split front, and on the general condition of my hands. My fault, I think - when I came back from boules at Epping on Monday afternoon Sue was doing some gardening at the front and, wanting to show willing to play my part, I grabbed a pair of secateurs and started to work - all with bare hands in cold weather. It was only for fifteen minutes or so, but enough to do the damage. Stupid, stupid - all this trouble for the want of a moment or two to put some gloves on.  Well, it's a lesson learned, although I knew it anyway. Don't be such a fool again!

Tonight, cotton gloves and half a pint of hand cream. Well not quite, but that's the general idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...