Sunday 25 April 2021

25/04/21 (2) Boules, puncture

Got up early, partly thanks to the dex, and watched some Netflix before an early breakfast. Shadow and Bone has some promise, I think.

Got to Ongar for my 10:00 appointment with the secretary of the Ongar Boules Club. I'm now a member.









We stumbled upon this during an Ongar walk a couple of weeks ago. We've had a set quietly rusting away in the workshop for years and very occasionally got them out on the back lawn - certainly enough to destroy the zip on the case, now held shut by a length of cord. I think I'm going to have to buy myself a new set but there's a lot to think about - diameter, weight, surface texture, hardness, pointer or shooter?

Partly I wanted non-strenuous exercise (it got me past my activity target, just), partly an extension to social life as things relax, and partly some structure to my life which can too easily become just taking the next mound of plls and waiting for the next blood tests. It's all very much "friendly" but there are occasional matches with a couple of other clubs in the area. I gather that in the last match with the twin town of Cerizay in France, we won! I don't know if that will continue post-Brexit - I hope so.

I don't see a return to live music for some time yet, but there is possible good news of Pfizer developing a treatment (pill) for COVID-19 by the end of the year. That would mean pushing the trials through at an unprecedented rate! Some time ago I decided that my personal roadmap back to live music would be vaccination demonstrated to be at least partially effective in immune-compromised blood cancer patients, and two effective treatments. Evidence for the first one is still weak but looking brighter, and the second would be halfway there if the reports can be believed. And that reminds me that I must do another government antigen test this evening.

Back to the boules. Several good chats with other players (almost all of a certain age) and I played two matches, winning three ends for the team, losing one, and making no useful contribution to the others. Not a bad start, I think.

While there I got a puncture in one of  Walter's front wheels during the not much more than 30m distance between car and pitch. I took a walker because not knowing how many people would be there I didn't know if getting a seat on one of the various benches would always be easy, and the walker gives me a private one of my own. Probably no need to bother in future, but too much standing about can  trigger the evil nerve pain in my right thigh (long pre-myeloma) and I did feel it trying to start up a couple of times. When that happens the only way to stave it off is to sit down.

I fixed the puncture this afternoon (I hope) - another of those tiny and viciously sharp thorns which was very difficult ro remove from the tyre. But 12" tyres aren't easy and the only way to get the inner tube back inside is with thumbs. I reckon that even with Udderly Smooth to help, I've put my thumb split and a couple of fingers back a fortnight at least. After being so careful to keep them warm with the sheepskin gloves all morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...