Friday 7 May 2021

07/05/21 Lorraine, and ultrafast

Yesterday morning we set out for the daily exercise in the curiously-named Pishiobury Park on the edge of Sawbridgeworth. Google Timeline says we were there four years ago, but I can't remember a thing about it. I'm no better informed now, because the sky darkened, the temperature dropped, and the rain set in. So we abandoned the plan and went to a couple of farm shops instead, harvesting a fine collection of fresh vegetables  as well as a quiche (Lorraine) and potato salad for a delicious lunch. Once we got home the weather improved, ending up with a fine sunny spring afternoon...

The rest of the day was deeply frustrating as I had lots of things I wanted to get done but every time I started something there would be an urgent call to drop it and do something else. The result, of course, is that very little actually got done and I haven't solved my main problem, which is to get my printer working with the new ultrafast broadband. I've uninstalled everything and will try to reinstall later today.

The big question is whether my all too evident frustration was just me getting older and grumpier, or was at least helped along by the myeloma drugs (I sometimes have to remind myself that although I feel basically pretty well I'm still taking two potent mood-affecting drugs), or something else altogether. I tried a trick taught to me many years ago of raising the pitch of my naturally deep voice when feeling down and a bit depressed and that might have helped a bit. Then came the most disastrous day of backgammon I can ever remember.  Lost three singles and a double - and that comes after winning six straight single games earlier in the week...  The intensity of COVID lockdown acts as an amplifier for all these kinds of things, and I remember saying to Sue early in the winter that we would need huge reserves of patience and tolerance to get  through to the spring without driving each other towards the edge of sanity... Thank heavens that the end is now in sight, as long as nothing else goes wrong.

Well, tomorrow (actually later this morning) is another day. Fresh start, and all that. We aim to go to The Hare (between us and Chelmsford) for a treat breakfast and possibly a walk afterwards. I fancy Eggs Benedict with a Garnett's sausage - that's a local outfit that supplies several places with beautifully spiced sausages. I've already sorted out my morning pills into a separate pillbox. And after that, I'll have another go at getting this printer sorted... If I can get a couple of hours free from interruptions.


Sweet Lorraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl8xeunYuJc

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...