Sunday 9 May 2021

09/05/21 (2) Off topic, mostly

There are a few pieces of music that have helped to keep me going during this last year. Barbara Thompson's "Stairways" is one of them. She no longer performs as she has advanced Parkinson's Disease. Her husband, drummer Jon Hiseman, died two or three years ago after an attempt to repair damage caused by unsuccessful surgery on a brain tumour. Colin Dudman (keys) had a couple of bands after he left Paraphernalia but is no longer involved in the jazz world as far as I know. Dill Katz (bass) continues to tour with various bands and is in demand as a session player. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Stairways - a ballad that should be far better known than it is - is on a large file that I've put on Dropbox at:

Stairways on Dropbox

and it starts at 01:10:54

The second part of the video is a recording made at the 1979 Bracknell Jazz Festival, all of forty two years ago, Since I've developed myeloma Stairways has acquired a whole new set of meanings for me. If you like it, make the world a better place and tell somebody else about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...