Monday 14 June 2021

14/06/21 Boules, Barbecue, Bowels

 Another beautiful summer day. It took a lousy spring and a poor start to this month, but we're well and truly into "flaming June" for several days now.

I was due an early start at the Ongar Piste for Brian's and my doubles league match (he had to leave early for a family commitment) and all would have been well if our opponents had turned up. But they didn't and couldn't be reached by 'phone. Presumably the attractions of a day at the seaside had been too strong. We now expect to play them next Sunday if  Brian can make it.

Brian and I took advantage of the confusion with a gentle singles to warm up, and then the secretary fixed another match up for us, against a rather strong pair including her father who has been playing the game since the year dot and who knows every hump and bump on that piste as well as anybody. Not surprisingly we lost 5-13 but I wasn't unhappy with my contribution. Sue was there to support and shot this snatch of video of me from behind:



One of the members had a birthday to celebrate - excellent cupcakes!

I had the usual collapse in my chair downstairs after getting home, eventually waking up in time to do cat and fish tea while Sue looked after the people side. Then we had a little barbecue to organise (fillet steaks, mushroom and red pepper kebabs, tenderstem broccoli, and frozen "oven" chips done in the air fryer for crunchy outside and fluffy insides.) Somehow, between us, we managed to bring all the elements together at more or less the same time...










Altogether, a day without giving much thought to Myeloma. Nothing admin to do on the Facebook group as I'm letting other admins deal with approving new members for a day or two - I've done my share recently. On the whole, the best days are either ones where I barely think about the disease apart from remembering to take the pills four times a day, or ones where one aspect or another of it dominate the day.

Later today - 09:00 - I have a dentist appointment to repair a couple of fillings that need a little work. With luck I'll get through that without need for anaesthetic, which I absolutely hate. The problem is managing the bowels in such a way that I'm "safe" for a couple of hours in the morning, so I omitted last night's senna. Fingers crossed... And if my planning fails, I have several physical cards to address the problem, as well as this digital one that works via Google Pay (or Apple Wallet, for those so inclined):













Temperature was a little high yesterday morning at 37.0 on the infra-red forehead thermometer - I'm usually 36 point something. Checked with the Braun digital in-ear thermometer, which confirmed the reading. Not high enough to panic, but high enough to keep an eye on. It dropped to 36.8 within a couple of hours and has stayed OK since, so no problem. .Blood pressure also OK at 117/78 - just inside "ideal blood pressure" according to my chart which doesn't take account of age. Oxygen saturation also OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

25/03/24 Back to Boules

First session of 2024 yesterday as the temperature was not too bad yesterday morning and for once it wasn't raining. Played two doubles ...